Sunday 13 September 2015

The Martian



The Martian by Andy Weir

Published- 13th February 2014
Publisher- Del Ray
Pages- 369 pages (hardback)


25739181


Mark Watney is a botanist and engineer, but he becomes trapped on Mars after a freak accident. Will he make it off Mars alive? How will he survive on Mars? Will anyone rescue him in time?

I really enjoyed this novel and it has become one of my favourite novels that I've read this year. I'm not a big science fan, but I loved reading all the scientific elements of this novel. The scientific elements helped us get inside Mark Watney's mind in his battle for survival. We learnt about everything he needed to do in terms of food, water and how to make Mars a livable planet for him to survive on. There was also a bit of maths thrown into some parts of this novel.

Mark Watney is a great character because of his personality, sense of humor and the way he would do anything to survive. One of my favourite quotes from Mark is 'In your face Neil Armstrong', so I'm glad this quote has made it into the movie. In the movie Mark Watney will be played by the brilliant Matt Damon. Mark always tried to see the positive side to things by making jokes and finding ways to fix any problems that occurred. Some of his ideas were really funny to read about, like towards the end of the novel he wanted to become like Iron Man to try to get back to Hermes. 

I also liked reading the parts about the people on Earth who were doing everything they could to get Mark Watney back alive. You also got points of view from the crew of Hermes and how they were feeling after leaving Mark behind. The staff at JPL had to do a lot of work to figure out how to get Mark home and this was portrayed in the writing of the novel. It was easy to follow the whole way and easy to read. Some of the scientific words were hard to pronounce, but it helps you learn more. 

Overall, this is one of my favourite novels of this year. I give this novel 5/5 stars. I've never read a novel before about people trapped on different planets so it was a really interesting read for me. I can't wait to see how different the film is from the novel and to basically see how good the film is. Hopefully I will enjoy the film just as much as I enjoyed reading this novel. If you love novels about different planets, battles for survival or science novels then this is definitely a must read for you.


                                 Rating 5/5
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment