Sunday 12 June 2011

In The Shadow of the Lamp

In The Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap

SOLICITED ARC REVIEW

Published- April 12th 2011
Publisher- Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pages- 304 pages (Hardcover)


I did notice a few inconsistencies throughout this ARC such as female's changing from Mrs to Miss and Emma's soldier's name changing from Thomas to Robert in one scene. However, all these mistakes will be corrected in the finished version of the book I'm sure.

This book was the perfect mix of war and romance. The romance throughout the story contained Molly, Emma and their gentlemen. The premise of the story is about a group of nurses being sent to Turkey to help the wounded men from the Crimea War. Molly was the main character throughout the whole story, however Miss Nightingale did play a big role throughout this novel. Will was a good male character because he cares so much about Molly, whereas Dr Maclean helps Molly become a much better nurse in the warzone.

As this story progressed I kept trying to guess what would happen to each of the characters, but with some it was really hard to guess what was going to happen. This was good because it made me want to keep reading the novel just to find out what happens next. The ending was quite sad and makes you want to cry. However, the end of the novel is also really happy, so the ending is a mix of sadness and happiness. If you want to find out what I'm talking about then you will just have to read this novel to find out.

I really enjoyed the first novel I read by Susanne Dunlap which was The Musician's Daughter. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this novel. Susanne is a brilliant author and I love the way she writes because she puts so much description into her work. The scenes in her novels are very detailed, you find out a lot about the characters and there is a mix of war/crime and romance. By rating for this book is 5/5 stars and I would recommend this book to everyone. I really enjoyed it and I think you will aswell so everyone needs to go out and buy their own copy.

                            Rating 5/5
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment